Mutterings that Matter

Friday, May 26, 2006

Keep that Buffer, Duffer!

I think professionally I have been a born Project Manager. Not so much in an arrogant way in terms of talent but in the kind of work I did from the start of my career. Right from my first job I have been managing projects, officially or unofficially. And I have come to the conclusion that once a project manager always a project manager. There is ofcourse the aspect of risk that one takes on, high stakes that fluctuate wildly on either side, managing schedules, people and client expectations, and finally keeping buffers for an eventuality. I don't know of any good project manager who even if don't do all of the above will not keep a buffer for their projects.

I used to do it also, and now fortunately or unfortunately I keep buffers even in my personal life, at the cost of time and money. It sort of becomes engrained in your system, and your thought process begins and ends with project management, whether it is getting the catering done for your wedding, (I for one went and paid the caterer extra money just to prevent an eventuality of less food at the wedding, realised later that my first estimate itself had a big buffer), or it could be getting in that extra grocery for a what if situation. Basically it's more the merrier, rather a buffer is always welcome.

In situations like these and let me tell you this is everyday, I keep wondering often, is keeping a buffer saving me the trouble i.e. mitigating the risk or is it taking away from me the experience of working through an eventuality. Maybe experience of an earlier eventuality gets us to define the buffer in a way, but I wonder if that is in anyways helping in growth.

Personally I have believed that eventuality brings out the best in the individual, more is learnt and more knowledge is gained. Of course there are brickbats but they all seem worth it. When I go back and look at all the projects I managed, projects that I had good buffers and I got them executed successfully really didn't help me as an individual or a professional. Ofcourse they gave me the social/professional recognition, but from an experience and fullfillment point of view, naah, nothing much to write home about. So I ponder if it is prudent enough to go in for those buffers always, or maybe the risk of working without buffers once in a while enriches oneself. I'll give myself sometime to find that out. :)

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home