Mutterings that Matter

Monday, February 27, 2006

Talk to me!

I was watching the Simi Garewal show "Rendezvous with Simi Garewal" last night that takes a peek into the lives of celebrities. The thought I was left with is why is it that I as a viewer am interested in the lives of these celebrities. I wouldn't call in an intrusion of privacy because these celebrities are willing to share their lives with the viewers.

Is it just entertainment value or TRP ratings? Is it just publicity that they are looking for? Is it to justify what they had done?

What is it that makes people sometimes reveal their deepest secrets in front of millions? This is not limited to celebrities alone, even commoners find it as a effective instrument to let loose their secrets. Does this make their hurt/pain/fears lighter? Does this make them more recognizable and more in the public eye? I don't know if I will be able to do that, at most I can reveal my deepest secrets to very close friends/family members.

Besides I wonder if these secrets are really secrets and not just a concoction of what actually happened laced heavily with sensationalism spice that makes it sell on television. Whether I watch Oprah, Simi Garewal, Jerry Springer, Donohue or any other talk show host, this is an answer I still do not have.

Till then I'll probably continue watching these talk shows and look at people baring all their secrets to an unknown viewer like me. See you again same time next week for more about what goes on in the lives of people.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home