Mutterings that Matter

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

http://www.bid4blessings.com

This is not a registered site just a concoction of my mind. Breaking news this morning, Amitabh Bachchan has donated 10 crores (Around $2.5M) in diamond ornaments to the deity at Tirupati, Balaji. Read Telegraph for one of the sample news articles.

I'm not at all surprized to hear that, he has made a lot of money with his films and endorsements and has come out of a serious illness. So true to our human frailties we thank the power above for protecting us.

But, what is appalling is that it has made news. I not against donating, but what is not acceptable is making a show out of it. Or is it that we like to show how religious we are and how generous we are? Or are we buying blessings and favours here from the power above?


I’m wondering what will happen of the 10 cr worth jewelry. What will a deity do with ornaments weighing 7kg? Will the Tirupati trust sell it and give roti, kapda, and makaan (Food, clothing, and shelter) to millions of people who find it hard to make ends meet? These are people for whom Amitabh Bachchan is a deity himself? For whom they would probably go without food to watch his new movies in their remote towns and cities. I don’t know who is responsible for this publicity, AB himself, the Tirupati trust or the news starved media.

In spite of all that I have written I wish AB very good health and lots of success in his movies, because I am also a humble devotee of his histrionic abilities.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home