Mutterings that Matter

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Are you competent?

Does being competent mean, how effectively you manage your incompetence?

I know this question sounds sarcastic, but it is not. By virtue of being competent in a field you have come from a place where you were incompetent to begin with. It is up to the individual how s/he has ‘managed’ that incompetence, which makes them competent or leaves them woefully incompetent. Building competence out of incompetence is like the phoenix rising from the ashes. Either you fall prey to it or you work towards transcending it by building competence.


I'll end this post with a quote by 19th century English Journalist, Walter Bagehot, "The Greatest pleasure in life...is doing what people say you cannot do".

4 Comments:

  • I think competence has two aspects: One how capable you really are. Second how well you manage the expectations about you. So, even after you build the competence from incompetence, as you put it, there is lot more to be done!

    Great quote :-) ...as a woman working in Corporate world, I have to deal with the "you cannot do" all the time. Need I explain the joy that I feel when i did it in spite of that?

    By Blogger Arundhati, at Thursday, December 08, 2005 11:45:00 AM  

  • i read the opening rhetoric Q on this post. i havent gone any further...finding an answer to that Q...

    By Blogger Unknown, at Saturday, December 10, 2005 1:09:00 AM  

  • Hey, what happened to the movies blog?

    I saw Original Sin, recently. I am not sure if you are fan of such movies. It is the "Gone With The Wind" type.
    But I must say I am in love (With Antonio Bandares and the movie ;))

    Just a warning: It is strictly NOT PG 13

    By Blogger Arundhati, at Sunday, December 11, 2005 1:13:00 PM  

  • @atul - Hope you get an answer soon, so I have a comment on this post.

    @arundhati - agree with you on the two aspects regarding competence.
    About the movies blog, yes there are some updates due to that soon. :)

    By Blogger Jolvin Rodrigues, at Monday, December 12, 2005 8:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home