Mutterings that Matter

Friday, October 28, 2005

'Used'Less or 'Use'Less

In my last blog Se7en Tag I had mentioned that I believe that "Everyone wants to do good/great work they just need direction and opportunities and of course time". They don’t work with you only for that paycheck but to make a difference - a difference to their lives, to the ones they work with, and the organization they work for. Then how is it that so many times you find underperformers or people who are crassly termed as 'Useless'.

They work with you with spending so much time of their daily lives and all that comes to a naught, because they are said to be ‘useless’ to the organization. I’ve had these experiences myself and learnt that maybe it is not that they are useless but that they are ‘used’ less.

What does someone need to be useful – a sense of purpose and a sense of belonging – a sense of satisfaction at the job that they do and a sense of satisfaction to the money they make. Maybe some people require more than just that – maybe it just takes someone to identify that for them. Maybe then will they be Useful, and not useless because they are ‘used’less.

3 Comments:

  • Give this a thought -
    http://sufferingsocrates.blogspot.com/2005/11/enough-is-enough.html

    By Blogger Vijay, at Thursday, November 03, 2005 4:31:00 AM  

  • Jolvin :-) I liked your views. I am not sure if you manage other people, but if you do, or if you do so in the future, I am sure your reportees will be happy!

    Don't forget these words though ;) when you become a manager yourself!

    By Blogger Arundhati, at Friday, November 18, 2005 6:37:00 PM  

  • @Arundhati - Thanks for visiting my blog and for your comment. Well I already manage people, and I do believe in these words that I have written. Sometimes though it backfires on you, because we should also know when to pull back and cut our losses.

    By Blogger Jolvin Rodrigues, at Sunday, November 20, 2005 11:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home