Mutterings that Matter

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Attempting not to fail

I have this quote by Robert H Schuller on my desktop now. He is a born again preacher who has written books that are essentially self help. I have read some in the days that I needed self help.I found this on Acqyr which has some inspirational quotes on desktop backgrounds.

Mind you this is not on my desktop because I am in dire need of self help again. The question fascinated me. A call to attempting something different or difficult or unimaginative or great and have no fear of failing. I tried hard to answer this question and I couldn't think of anything without having the fear aspect lurking at the back. There is a lot of unlearning that has to be infused in my system to think of attempting something without the fear of failing.

As I trackback to my early days the concept of failing came way back in school. Less than 35 marks was the dreaded number - I would be a failure. More than 35 marks and I had just scraped through yet still a failure because I didn't top the class or wasn't amongst the brilliant students who were upwards of 80.

I wouldn't want to be a failure and be ridiculed by teachers, family, and friends - Would I? Yet we forget so quickly that in the early years we spoke clearly after failing to utter them a million times, we walked after falling and hurting ourselves and we were able to read what looked like pictures a while ago.

Now to answer the question that I put to all of you - I would attempt to be a child - because only then will I attempt to do things that I think off.

7 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home