Mutterings that Matter

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Freedom

Freedom! 4th of July just went by, 15th of August is just round the corner. Two mega democracies! Every year these two days are celebrated to signify that one word with which I started this blog.

What is freedom? The condition of being free of restraints, as the dictionary puts it. What’s this state of freedom? My nation is free hence I have my freedom. My father was not born in a free country, I was. So I am free from restraints to do what I want, because my country says so. I understand that the law is there to control miscreants, but that’s not what I want to talk about.

I ask myself the question, am I really free. Am I really free from all the restraints? Or am I a slave? A slave to what I think. A slave to what I think I can do. Chained but free to walk, like the elephant in the picture. I do surprise myself by setting myself free sometimes. I am enslaved to myself, giving myself independence sometimes and then back to slavery.

1 Comments:

  • Oh, your topic and opinion is very good. I have never considered about "freedom". It's very difficult matter. I can't say the maning of "freedom". I try to consider more about "freedom".

    By Blogger erika, at Saturday, July 09, 2005 1:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home